Monday, December 3, 2007

Brussel Sprouts and Quinoa goodness


Mmm ... I really must like brussel sprouts - seems like I buy some every second time I hit the store! No complaints though - it is a quintessential seasonal vegetable and looks so damn inviting, especially on that little sprouts tree! I've probably mentioned this a zillion times already - I love chopping sprouts, the way I love cutting cabbage and cauliflower and broccoli. *so* much of fun!

P.S.: It snowed here! Care for some fresh powder? :D

I felt like a quick meal - something simple, loaded with natural flavor, that didn't take too long to make. Something warm and comforting sounded good, what with all that crazy snow out there! After a long day of romping around in the snow, Vodka decided to settle for some warm oats and yogurt, and I went for brussel sprouts and quinoa.



Brussel Sprouts and Quinoa Pilaf
Got to love that grain from Peru :)

Servings: 4


2 cups of quinoa
20+ brussel sprouts - quartered
1 red onion
1 T sambar powder (I freshly grind mine as needed, but any store-bought powder should probably do)
1 T cumin seeds
1 T sesame oil
salt

Soak the quinoa in cold water for about 15 minutes and rinse it.
Rinse it again.

Hmm ... did I say "Rinse the quinoa."?

Guess I've said it before
here ... and here ... :)

In the meantime, heat the oil in a work and roast the cumin seeds till browned.

Add the onions and saute till they get translucent.

Now add the brussel sprouts and saute them for 3-4 minutes.

Add the sambar powder+salt along with a couple of splashes of water and stir.

Continue to cook partially covered on low for about 6-7 minutes - You want the sprouts to retain a bit of a crunch.


Cook the quinoa in 4 cups of water with a dash of hot oil and salt - this takes about 20 minutes. Once cooked, toss the sprouts with the quinoa and add salt if needed.


Good?
Simple and flavorful. The very subtle bitter taste of the brussel sprouts was a perfect compliment to the chewy spiced quinoa. This pilaf is a definite winner!

15 comments:

Rajitha said...

i enjoy cutting veggies actually...just switch on the tv to my fav show and start chopping!! this is a different combo..i like botht the starring ingredients..is a must try!!

AnuSriram said...

Never heard about this Quinoa.. Where do i get these quinoa? Have to try this out... looks tempting and delicious..

Finla said...

Not a sprout fan, but indeed they do look good

Namratha said...

I've been reading about Quinao every now and then on so many blogs and have been wondering what it is! It looks like broken wheat to me, I know it isn't :D This must be a very good combo Kay!

Deborah said...

I would have never thought to combine Brussel Sprouts and quinoa - I'm gonna have to try this out!

Richa said...

wowieee! those r two power packed ingredients in one dish!!
very well presented :)

remya said...

never heard of this quinoa ...looks like broken wheat...havent tasted this brussel sprouts...sounds interesting combo...wanna try it soon...

KayKat said...

Hey Anu, Namratha,

Quinoa is a pseudocereal originally from the Andes (considered the mother of all grains by the Incas). You can find it in most specialty stores and maybe in the organic section of regular grocery stores.

More about it here.

bee said...

isn't the quinoa cute? i love it. j doesn't, so we don't make it.

Sagari said...

looks beautifulllll

Kribha said...

I can eat brussel sprouts only if it is cooked in a certain way. But this looks delicious. Never tried quinoa before. will start looking for it.

Pooja said...

totally a new recipe for me , visiting your blog for the first time, and found it intresting .
thanks for sharing this recipe, i like brussel sprouts too very much. though i never heard of quinoa... can u plz tell me what it is , and from where i can get it ?

Raks said...

I din't know much about quinoa b4...Thanx for introducing;D

neroli said...

Simply brilliant!---two of my favorites that I never thought to put together.
But you are absolutely right to do so!
(applause, cheers!)

Cocktail said...

I just bought a huge bag of sprouts from COSTCO and had the quinoa already. Googled "quinoa brussel sprouts" and your blog popped up!

Quinoa is soaking, getting the sprouts ready.

Thanks!