Monday, September 17, 2007

Eating my way through a Tortilla Stack :)

My sis made this fabulous mango-pineapple salsa over the weekend, and (like always!) had a ton left over. So, I inherited a box of it *drool*! I was wondering if I should save it for dipping into over a few days or just use it all up. Well, given that I was staring at a little pile of corn tortillas, I couldn't help but use it!

I poked around my Didi Emmons' Vegetarian Planet book, trying to find some recipe that I could work the salsa into. Tortilla Stacks! Sounded real simple and quick to make. The salsa seemed to have gotten a bit runny with the juices of the mango, pineapple and tomatoes. I drained out the liquid from the salsa and saved for possible use later.


The first step was to bake a bunch of tortillas till they got crisp. Then I placed 2 tortillas side by side in a loaf pan and added layers of salsa, grated oaxacan string cheese, pinto beans and tortillas. Four more layers went on, following by drizzling the salsa liquid over the tortillas. I baked the stacks for 10 minutes at 375 F. They came out looking quite happy.

The final seasoning for the stacks was a drizzle of diluted light sour cream mixed with some gongura pickle.


Muy yummy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that looks SO yummy !! My stomach's grumbling already ...

Unknown said...

U have a great blog.I love the delicious snack and it looks very yummy.