Sunday, September 23, 2007

Noodlin' time!

Every once in a while, I get this intense craving for indo-chinese food, good stuff like what we get at Cascade in Madras, not like what one finds at Bamboo Garden in Redmond!

In honor of those good times, I embarked on making hakka noodles a couple of nights ago. I was a little apprehensive about how it would turn out, nostalgic flavors sometimes lead to disappointment! But this one turned out ok :) Obviously, I'll still take Cascade's noodles over mine, but this was good enough to keep me going till the next visit to Madras happens!


I started off cooking a bag of hakka noodles (flat noodles found at indian and chinese stores) in boiling water for about 10 -12 minutes. In the meantime, the veggies got prepped: 1 red onion, 5-6 cloves of garlic, 2" ginger (finely chopped), 4-5 thai red chillies, a handful of peanuts sauteed in 1 T of sesame oil. I added julienned carrots and red bell peppers and sauteed till they were cooked. The seasoning was pretty simple - a few spoons of soy sauce, some sweet and sour sauce, a few spoons of rice vinegar and a dash of green chilli sauce. *smile*!

2 comments:

amna said...

i share ur occasional craving for indo-chinese and noodles is always the first choice of course!

Anonymous said...

I love the indo chineese food.
When i came here first i was always looking to a item in the menu card which would resemble the indian chineese. But in vain.
I love the noodles dish like nags is saying