Monday, September 17, 2007

Plantain curry becomes vadais!

I felt like more kozhambu the other day. And I had some yellow squash for it - perfect! And some vazhakai (green plantains) curry, maybe?

I didn't feel like doing the usual cook/dice/saute with the plantains, so I opted for something different. Grated plantains - almost like a podimaas, but not that granular.
So, I grated the plantains and threw them into a pan with a seasoning of a tsp of sesame oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida, turmeric and some red chillies.

Just as I threw in a cup of water, I went "Ooops! Too much water!" Hmm, I let it cook for a bit, but soon realized I needed to salvage this differently. Bake it, maybe? Well, that worked fabulously! I made the grated plantain mixture into vadais, doused them with some oil spray and baked at 400 for about 15 minutes.


Yum!

========

Seems like this is going to be my submission for JFI: Banana, it is my only plantain recipe for all of september!

2 comments:

mb said...

baked vadais. Now this is something I need to try :) great entry, thank you! - Mandira

Raaga said...

this looks yum :-)