Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Thai-glazed vegetable skewers


I'm going through that phase again - where I spend hours reading entire cookbooks. *so* fascinating! Of course, it doesn't help that I often end up hungry at the end of it - all those fabulous pictures and descriptions!

A couple of nights ago, I picked up one of my favourite veggie cookbooks - New Vegetarian by Celia Brooks Brown - a collection of truly innovative recipes. This is the same book that has the fabulous fajitas recipe that I'm always drooling over.


*drool*

As I was flipping through the pages of this book, these vegetable skewers pretty much jumped out of the book at me - they looked quite delicious and I had most of the makings - which gave me room for reworking the recipe :)


Thai spices are *so* delightful - spicy, sweet, tangy, a successful olio of flavours. And such a pleasure to work with, there was a time when I was indulging in a lot of thai cooking, but it has been a while now. But these skewers and the fabulous red curry that Jai & Bee just posted about has gotten me jumpstarted on thai dishes once again.




Thai-glazed vegetable skewers
Sweet, spicy, tangy goodness


Servings: 4 skewers


1 red bell pepper - cut into about 12 pieces
1 yellow squash - cut into 12 pieces

1 carrot - cut into 1" pieces

1 lemon - sliced

1/2 red onion - cut into wedges

3 thai chillies (you can go with serrano for a milder flavour, or even skip these)


Thai Barbeque Sauce


3 T coconut milk powder - mixed with 2-3 T of water

1/4 cup dark soy sauce

1 T brown sugar

1 T rice vinegar
3 kaffir lime leaves - chopped

1 stalk lemongrass - finely sliced

1 bird's eye chillies - sliced

1 large garlic clove - chopped

1/2 T sesame oil


Put the barbeque sauce ingredients in a blender and puree till smooth.


Thread the skewers with the vegetables, starting and ending with a lemon slice.
Brush the sauce generously over the loaded skewers and marinate in the refrigerator for atleast 30 minutes.
(Reserve the remaining sauce).

Put the skewers under a preheater broiler and cook, turning occasionally and basting with the remaining sauce, until tender and lightly charred.
(An alternative would be to cook on an outdoor grill or a stove-top grill pan).



How was it?

*drool*! I might just say that these are the best veggie skewers *ever* :)

16 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

"drool" indeed!

amna said...

wow! those sure look yummy. what do you serve them with?

KayKat said...

I had some leftover puy lentils sauteed with carrots, onions and garlic - the veggie skewers went perfectly with that :)

Sig said...

okay, I agree best veggie skewers ever... I can almost taste those :)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

These look pretty good.

Rachel said...

Those glazed veggie look so yummy...I like the burnt tinge too

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

oooh, these vegetable skewers are so elegant!! great mix of flavors there!!

bee said...

totally delicious. was wondering how beets would taste caramelised on a skewer.

Finla said...

Hi hi i know how you feel. I too drool on all my cooking books and get so hungry.
Love the skewers. The carmalizes leamon looks so good. The taste must have been so good

Ashwini said...

I am in consent - drool :-)
Would go really well with some burnt ginger rice for dinner.

DK said...

OMG *drool* *drool* *drool* *drool* ! I loved the pics! Hey! but its comforting too that there is one more person who has this 'cookbook' phase and as u mentioned I always end up eating more after seeing such books!

I am sooo trying this recipe!

Cynthia said...

You can just tell how flavourful that is with all the charred bits of goodness.

Rajesh &Shankari said...

Wow! Beautiful recip

Sia said...

D-R-O-O-L

Namratha said...

Looks delicious Kay, I wish I could grab some right away!

Susan said...

Here comes more drooling! I love that charred flavor. Very pretty and delicious, KayKat.